Deciding on a summer season break to the Antalya coast in Turkey, raised one large query for 2 households travelling collectively – Kas or Kalkan? Let their expertise information you to decide on one of the best vacation spot out of the 2 for you!
Set within the the province of Antalya, beautiful surroundings is assured. This space is also called the turquoise coast (and the seas right here actually are a shocking shade of blue), in addition to the Turkish Riviera.
Kalcan itself is surrounded by the arid Taurus mountains, and is one large very steep hill from high to backside! However don’t let this put you off if you happen to really feel climbing up and down hills isn’t your jam, as a result of right here nobody does that anyway. It’s so steep that everybody hops in a taxi to get from high to backside, or drives their very own automobile or if you’re courageous sufficient a moped!
The steep incline signifies that the views are simply unimaginable. Whether or not wanting away from the coast in any respect the attractive homes and villas that appear to trickle down in direction of the ocean, or from increased up throughout the sheltered bay and the twinkling Mediterranean Sea.
The place to go and what to see in Kalkan
- Terrace eating places and bars – these had been a agency favorite with our group, not solely due to the beautiful views throughout the city and your complete bay, but additionally as a result of nothing feels higher than a heat night breeze whereas eating alfresco!
- Seaside golf equipment – a family-friendly approach to spend the day within the shade of a cabana proper subsequent to the ocean. Most have easy accessibility to the ocean both by being on the seaside, or by having platforms that result in the ocean in addition to having a pool.
- The weekly native market – a bustling house promoting spices, contemporary fruit and veg, and all the real fakes you can dream of! It’s also possible to bag your self some freshly made turkish treats to maintain your power up as you go spherical. Solely on a Thursday.
- Arts & crafts boutiques – there’s a lot native expertise hidden among the many many winding streets in Kalkan. Search for handmade and artisan items – pottery, glass, and macrame.
- Petara historic website – only a brief drive from the city is Petara, the traditional capital of Lycia – an excellent place to be because the solar units, with a wealth of tumbled down ruins and semi restored areas and amphitheatres full with very pleasant goats!
Is Kalkan good for a household vacation?
A convincing sure from us all! We had been lucky sufficient to have a villa with a pool – so loads of house to relax and preserve cool till the temperatures dipped sufficient to enterprise out. The ocean was protected and mild for the little ones, and the Seaside Membership we spent a day at had a wealth of water toys (sea tractor and trampoline!) to maintain the children occupied for hours.
All of the eating places and bars had been tremendous kid-friendly too – and whereas we didn’t keep out late it definitely appeared protected sufficient whereas we had been there. For older children and adventurous adults there have been a variety of outside adventures to select from comparable to mountain biking, parasailing, jet snowboarding, and boat rent.
Kas – a greater vacation spot than Kalkan?
It looks as if everybody talks about Kas greater than Kalkan – and on a day journey there we may sort of see why. For a begin the ambiance is extra mild, much less touristy, and has areas with extra of an genuine native really feel. The inclines are additionally much less intimidating and it isn’t an excessive amount of bother to wander from the automobile park by the harbour proper as much as the best avenue within the city.
As soon as once more, the setting is totally stunning because it sits alongside the identical a part of the turquoise coast, and it has a wealth of fantastic boutiques to discover and a greater than its justifiable share of terrace eating places to get pleasure from spectacular views throughout the harbour! All in all it appeared extra grown up, much less glitzy and fewer like a spot solely vacationers frequent!
Is Kas an excellent vacation spot for a household vacation?
I assume all of it is determined by the vibe you’re on the lookout for! It’s a extra mild, extra Turkish model of Kalkan and I might say extra relaxed too. Would the children suppose it’s higher? Likelihood is the brilliant lights and extra accessible seaside golf equipment of Kalkan would get their vote!
- Flights: Jet2 to Dalaman
- Villa: Villa Palmi kalkanvilla.org
- Transfers: Taxi – 1h 50m from Dalaman to Kalkan
- Journey date: August 2023
- Climate: HOT HOT HOT (upwards of 35 °C) humid and sunny!
Worldwide journey insurance coverage to Turkey
Get your worldwide journey insurance coverage earlier than you head off in your subsequent journey – annual cowl at nice charges for households that love journey. Get a web-based quote or name us on 0189283338
Journey Author Bio:
Kerry McCarthy is a Author, Editor, Artist & Breathwork Teacher who likes to journey with household, buddies and in addition solo. You could find out extra about her adventures over on instagram at @kerrymccarthystars