Each advisor has a turning level of their profession.
It may be a passive occasion, akin to when they’re introduced with an possibility and wish to find out which path to take.
Or a extra proactive one, akin to seeing the proverbial handwriting on the wall and realizing it’s an indication that they could have to make a change.
For Evan Mayer, there have been a number of such moments. And as he shares, “All issues occur for a motive.”
He began within the financial institution channel, aspiring to transition to a monetary advisor position sometime. But time handed, and he was provided the choice of turning into a financial institution supervisor for Financial institution of America. So he had a choice to make: Keep the course or take the trail.
But as destiny would have it, an advisor place turned accessible, and he stayed with the financial institution, BankAtlantic, till the following juncture. That got here in 2012 when Evan transitioned to SunTrust, which turned Truist after a merger with BB&T in 2019, one of many greatest financial institution acquisitions of its time.
“That was a lightbulb second,” Evan stated.
Pushed to do extra for his shoppers however restricted by the financial institution mannequin, Evan needed to have the ability to share instructional info and market to shoppers and prospects freely.
Taking a proactive stance, he explored his choices. Evan determined to launch Fortuna Wealth in Boca Raton, FL with Raymond James, and he hasn’t regarded again since—maybe solely to acknowledge he’s grown his enterprise from $180mm in property underneath administration in 2019 to over $600mm at present as an impartial agency.
Evan shares his unbelievable journey with Louis, together with:
- The important thing variations between working in a financial institution channel and being an impartial advisor—and the way the completely different options of every influenced his enterprise;
- The secrets and techniques behind his extraordinary development—and what he might do in independence that he couldn’t within the financial institution channel;
- The method of transitioning from a financial institution mannequin to an impartial follow at Raymond James—and what influence he noticed on portability;
- The flexibility to market creatively—and the way having a preferred podcast drives his backside line; and
- Life as a CEO—and the way it differs from being an worker.
Many advisors get their begin within the financial institution channel and discover a pathway to development. However for some, the mannequin turns into too limiting. For Evan, it was a realization that modified his enterprise life: He was lacking out on the issues he might do for his shoppers and the enterprise. However by making a change, Evan might do all the pieces he needed after which some.
It’s an episode that reminds us to pay attention to the messages round us—they typically maintain the important thing to discovering our greatest enterprise lives.