Yearly, most sorts of insurance coverage may have open enrollment durations that final a number of weeks – often from November 1 to January 15. The timeframe might differ for states with their very own well being marketplaces.
There are a couple of methods you’ll be able to join protection:
- By your employer
- By way of Medicare (in case you are of retirement age)
- By the federal government healthcare market (Healthcare.gov)
- Straight by an insurance coverage firm
- By working with a medical health insurance dealer
Throughout open enrollment, you’ll be able to:
- Join a brand new medical health insurance plan, or different types of protection like dental, imaginative and prescient, or life insurance coverage
- Make adjustments to your current plan if you have to enhance protection quantities or add relations and dependents
- Join or make adjustments to your versatile spending account (FSA) or well being financial savings account (HSA)
Does open enrollment differ by state?
What’s open enrollment like for different states? For many states, OEP for 2024 well being plans begins November 1, 2023, and ends January 15, 2024.1 This provides you simply round 11 weeks to enroll. Nonetheless, if you’d like protection starting January 1, 2024, you’ll must enroll by December 15, 2023. Should you enroll between December 16, 2023, and January 15, 2024, your protection will start February 1, 2024 as a substitute.
Not all states have these similar deadlines as they handle their very own well being marketplaces. Within the case you reside in any of the next states, you’ll need to make sure you enroll by the deadlines beneath:
- California: November 1-January 31
- Massachusetts: November 1-January 23
- New Jersey: November 1-January 31
- New York: November 16-January 31
- Rhode Island: November 1-January 31
- Washington, D.C.: November 1-January 31